Thursday, October 25, 2012

An Update

With the opening of the legislature today, I expect we'll see some big developments from the Cam Broten and Trent Wotherspoon campaigns; given that they will be 'taking the fight' to the government for every day that the legislature is in session.

This post is going to be more of a general look at what lies ahead, as opposed to any in detail look at the campaigns, and we're going to discuss some questions of delicate nature as well.

With Erin Weir's call for the campaign to start approaching policy debate, and the creation of a nifty chart to highlight differences between the camps (LINK), it would seem that we've officially entered the 'real start' of the race. Not to undermine any of the efforts undertaken until now, but once we start seeing more policy and developments within a race, is generally when the rest of the people concerned in how it will turn out tend to start paying more attention. Not to mention that policies might help undecided members find a camp they're willing to support, not just with a ballot, but financially and through volunteer work as well.

On that front, Ryan Meili's campaign has put out word of a policy announcement scheduled for tomorrow here in Saskatoon. I'm not sure whether or not I will be there in person for the announcement, but I shall report on it either way.

Which brings me to the questions of delicate nature. I've done my best to hopefully present this blog objectively, and without bias; hopefully, I've achieved that. Which is why I now find myself struggling with questions of how much challenging I can do with regards to things that are brought forward by the campaigns.

There is a good chance that I won't agree with everything brought forward by a camp, much in the same way that many of you reading this already find much to disagree with from candidates outside of your chosen one, but the question of just how much I can push back and remain unbiased has been at the forefront of my mind.

I suppose part of me thinks that these proposals will be scrutinized by the other leadership candidates, and as such, who am I to add my own chiding or ideas into the pot. But at the same time, I don't want to sound like a parrot simply repeating the information that has come out of the campaigns "ad nauseam". So, with that in mind, I think I've decided on the best course of action.

I think the best approach is to expand on the ideas presented; by which I mean, if I read a policy revolving around education reform, to add something to the debate that is missing or lacking. (For note, education reform as an example was chosen at random based on policies that have come out thus far from any of the camps.)

I don't think I'll be 'tearing into' any of the policies, nor objecting to them (unless something truly outlandish crops up and needs to be addressed, but I doubt that would happen), but we shall try to build on what the campaigns have introduced and hopefully add another approach that might not have been considered or mentioned at the policy table.

As such, in addition to regular campaign updates, we shall see some light editorializing from me as the race continues. It might be tougher to walk the line of being impartial during this, but I am going to try my best to remain as neutral as possible.

So, with all that said and done, I think we can expect the first of these over the weekend, given that all of the camps will have brought forth at least one policy plank. So, until then.

No comments: